Reviews of the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Character Theme Songs!
Capcom has released the character themes on the MvC3 Japanese site, and I've taken a listen to all of them! (To listen to them yourself, check out my "Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (MvC3) theme songs!!!" playlist on YouTube.)
While I've checked out every song in the MvC3 soundtrack, I've only reviewed some of them here. If you don't see a character listed below, then the theme wasn't bad enough to piss me off or good enough to catch my fancy.
EDIT: Consider these my first impression reviews. I've already changed my mind on some of the songs. Soon I'll be posting reviews of each track, with embedded YouTube vids to listen to them.
On the Marvel side...
- Deadpool's theme is just plain awful.
- Hulk's song is a nice reinterpretation of his classic theme that he's had since Marvel Super Heroes. It's like a rock remix of his normal tune.
- Wait... Iron Man has totally lifted War Machine's theme from the first Marvel vs. Capcom! IM had his own theme in MSH -- and it was pretty good -- so why take Rhodey's jam?
- Did Magneto get a totally new theme? Am I right about this? It doesn't sound familiar at all. Plus, it's not good.
- M.O.D.O.K., on the other hand, has the best theme in the game so far. It sounds like something out of a TMNT arcade game with it's totally awesome melody.
- Spider-Man probably has the most faithful re-performance going on. I like that they're sticking close to the vest with some of the classic themes.
On the Capcom side...
- Amaterasu's song has a nice bounce to it. Very listenable.
- Arthur has a pretty awesome metal song! This song is new to me, but my research tells me it's the original theme from Ghosts'n Goblins. Nice touch. Second best song so far.
- Chun-Li's song = massacred! It's way too fast and neurotic.
- Dante's theme is unlistenable. The worst of the bunch.
- Felicia's theme is really fun! (EDIT: Upon re-listening to this, it might be even better than Arthur and Tron Bonne...)
- Morrigan got a new theme? Like Magneto, this one's not an improvement.
- Tron Bonne's theme is very classic! Lots of descending chord inversions and well-timed drum breaks. This rounds out the top three songs of the pack!
That's all for now! I'll add my reviews of notable new MvC3 themes to this post as the remaining characters are announced.
On a personal note:
I love character theme songs from fighting games. They're one of my big influences as a musician (see my Nik Furious instrumental music for examples!) and they're a huge reason why my love for fighting games remains strong.
The original Marvel vs. Capcom will forever hold a place in my heart not only for its excellent game play but also for its incredible themes. And I expect (and hope!) MvC3 to be no exception.